WHAT IS ENERGY REVOLUTION AND WHY BE A PART OF IT?
Energy Revolution is an unprecedented collaboration of festival organisers that gives an industry response to the critical challenge of climate change. We believe that every individual, business and economic sector can play a valuable role in creating a sustainable future for everyone. Energy Revolution aims to harness the immense power we can have as an industry when we work together. It is a call to arms to make a real difference.
So why should we tackle climate change as an industry? The scientific consensus is that climate change is very real and if humanity does not take action we are on a collision course towards destruction. The latest Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Report looks at the impact of temperature rises on the planet and concludes that even a rise of 2 degrees will have significant negative consequences. At the moment a rise of 4 degrees is more likely, which would be utterly devastating for humanity, especially in those regions already stricken with poverty.
The festival industry is collectively responsible for 14 kilotonnes of carbon dioxide each year. The main contributor of carbon emissions at festivals is travel, which accounts for 70% of a festival’s carbon footprint. For a festival of 10,000 people, this is a massive 120 tonnes of carbon dioxide!
It is counter-intuitive that an industry with our roots, dynamism and reach does not have a multi-lateral and impactful response to climate change. The festival industry, being audience facing, having kudos and media exposure, with large and young audiences, has a potentially impactful role to play in developing and communicating a visible response to climate change.
Support from festivalgoers is already evident – a summary of audience research in the UK concludes that audiences are overwhelmingly in favour of festivals tackling their carbon emissions.
Energy Revolution focuses on tackling the carbon emissions from travel so we can have the biggest possible impact. It works by giving festivalgoers the option to account for their carbon emissions from journeys to and from festivals by supporting a renewable energy project when they buy their tickets.
The science and the art of communicating about the issues surrounding climate change are understandably beyond the experience and skills of many individual events. However these can be provided through shared resources and skills that Energy Revolution can provide. A response can be far more robust and effective if the industry works together to define and deliver an impactful initiative.
Please click to find out how this all works and to find out about the renewable energy projects we support. We already have 17 pioneering festivals and events as partners of Energy Revolution; find out about them.
HOW DOES ENERGY REVOLUTION WORK?
Energy Revolution crowdsources donations at point-of-sale and uses them to invest in sustainable energy projects. It turns fossil-fuel travel miles into clean, renewable energy so we can keep the party going forever.
The way this works financially with our current Energy Partner, The Converging World, is outlined below.
- Festivalgoers account for carbon emissions from their travel by making a donation when buying festival tickets
- Donations are held in trust by the festival ticket agency or festival and then transferred to Energy Revolution
- Energy Revolution claims Gift Aid on the donations to help cover administration costs
- Energy Revolution invests 100% of donations into renewable energy projects through their chosen partners e.g. The Converging World
- Clean energy is generated from wind turbines and sold to end users (such as hospitals) through the Indian national grid.
- Energy Revolution receives an annual return from their investments to help cover administration costs.
- The investment avoids quantifiable amounts of C02, helping to account for millions of miles of travel-emissions
- Energy Revolution works with more festivals to increase impacts and create more clean energy
Everyday charity operations will be funded by Gift Aid and returns on our investments so 100% of donations made go directly towards generating clean energy. As investments grow in the longer term the charity will also be able to have a catalyst fund for environmental research and projects for the industry; so expanding the scope and impact of the project.
IS IT EASY TO SET UP FOR MY FESTIVAL?
Yes – setting up the facility for your audience to make donations to Energy Revolution is easy. All it requires is adding the option to donate at the point of sale for your tickets in the same way as you would adding another ticket option.
Donations can be made as either:
– A fixed fee based on industry average journey length of 150 miles (Julie’s Bicycle industry benchmark) and DEFRA conversion for kgC02e per mile. This works out at circa £3 carbon cost per round trip.
– Different nominal amounts chosen by the festival – e.g. £1, £3, £5
Detailed guidelines on how to do this are available once a festival becomes a partner of Energy Revolution.
GREAT! SIGN ME UP.
It’s really quick and easy to sign up, and you can do so here. The majority of this process is online. It has been organised this way to keep the charities admin costs to a minimum, but if at any point you would like to get in touch to talk things through, please drop us an email on firstname.lastname@example.org